Friday, November 7, 2014

Watercolor & Washi Wow!

     I'm really excited to share a technique I thought up all on my own: Washi Tape Masking. Now, I'm not saying no one has ever done it before. But while preparing for my recent Tools and Techniques Class on watercoloring, I realized our catalog lacks masking material. Masking an area to prevent ink or paint covering it is a basic technique for scene building, and even though I'm no expert in painting or scene building, using a mask makes even my work look pretty good. A little searching through of my supplies turned up a roll of washi tape that I could experiment with. Stampin' Up's washi tape is waterproof and removable. A little wax (paraffin) paper, a little washi in layers, a couple of punches and dies...Washi tape masking!

So simple!
  1. Overlap layers of tape (just the edges, as you want it to be thin and flat) on the wax paper, covering an area a little larger than you need.
  2. Cut with sharp scissors, or punch, or die cut to the desired shape.
  3. Peel mask off of the wax paper.
  4. Apply to your watercolor paper or cardstock and burnish carefully to prevent seepage.
  5. Paint or stamp as desired.
  6. Blot the tape with a towel to prevent smearing of any ink or paint on the surface of it and gently remove it.
  7. And (are you ready for this?): Store mask on a piece of wax paper for future use. Yes! The washi tape is durable and reusable. Win!

See the cloud shapes above? The Word Bubbles Framelits Dies aren't just for word bubbles! Circle punches make perfect sun & moon shapes. The long strips on the right were scissor cut and used for framing.
     
     I overlapped the cloud shapes, wet the watercolor paper,
picked up reinker with an Aquapainter, and began
layering on color. After allowing the ink to dry, the mask was removed. Then it was time to stamp!

     The bats from Holiday Home had been calling to me, and since the class was before Hallowe'en, I had to answer. The ship is from The Open Sea. My son looked at the resulting image and explained it to me, "The ship is a ghost ship. When the seagulls come near it, they are cursed and become bats." (Yep. It runs in the family.)


     The class attendees had a choice of images from The Open Sea or Lovely as a Tree for a focal point. Kim M.'s gorgeous tree scene is a knock-out! I borrowed it to show to the second class session (and because it was irresistible to my tree-fixated self. I returned it, promise.)

Kim, thanks for letting me share your card here!
 
     Thanks for reading!I'd love to read about your watercolor adventures, so feel free to comment below.




Product List:  Click the product image for details.






No comments:

Post a Comment