Friday, October 31, 2014

Quick, Cute, and Fun Candy Dispensers

     Once again, I looked at a tool and thought, "Cute, but would I really use it?"  Once again, something cute that a gift or candy could be tucked in came to mind, and I answered myself, "Yes." (I'm not obsessed with candy, really. I just like consumable gifts that don't have to be fed, watered, dusted, or stored. I do like to consume candy, but that's beside the point.)


     Behold the Gift Box Punch Board: 
Item 135863, $19.95

   And behold the cuteness of quick candy dispensers!

     My DSA (Dear Stamping Assistant, who generously shares her inspiration and effort) and I had a blast playing with designs and selecting the right candy for each box. 
Don't you love the snowman? My daughter loves this punch board & got inspired by the many different sizes it makes.



Frank Jr. is all punch art. Witchy-poo is decorated with Motley Monsters Designer Series Paper.
And inside both are candy!



  Here are a couple of fall themed boxes that would be nice Thanksgiving gifts or decorations.
The many sizes the punch board is capable of allows for customization so your chosen candy will fit easily. The hive box began with a 9"x 9" piece of cardstock so the dispenser slot could accommodate Bit O'Honey candies.
Yes, it isn't really cherry season, but the cherry sours candies are the right color for fall. And I like cherry sours.

     If you look at the sides of the open dispensers, you can see a little gusset that holds the lip of the dispenser up enough that the candy will stay in the box. The front of the lower lip of the dispenser on each box has an embellishment (punched oval, e.g.) that tucks under the upper lip just enough to keep it closed when desired.

     Making the gusset is as easy as making the box is! I did try to make it complicated, but all I needed was a ruler and a punched circle to trace around.
  1. See Figure I:  On the side for the dispenser, measure up from the bottom of the box and mark at the desired height. Larger candies need a larger opening. On the template below, I marked 3/4" inch from the bottom of the box. 
  2. Mark at the same height on the score line 90 degrees on each side of the lip.
  3. Place the punched circle so that it meets both marks and trace as shown.
  4. Cut the straight line.
  5. Cut the curved line.
  6. See Figure II:  Adhere the inside flaps to the sides away from the opening. Stapling gives the box sturdiness and durability. Conceal the staples while decorating if desired. If the "cheeks" gap, sticking a glue dot in the sides will close that up. 
  7. Decorate and fill with candy!

Fig. I.  Mark the inside of the box for Steps 1 - 3 above.


Fig. II.  Fold the front inside flaps (A) pointing away from the dispenser opening.
Fold the back inside flaps (B) against the back of the box.
     My wonderful stamping friend and upline, Brenda Quintana, has made a great video tutorial for these boxes.

     Well, what do you think? I'd love to hear about your own candy dispensers!



6 comments:

  1. This is great! Thanks for sharing your idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so CLEVER! Those are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! You know, I was considering buying an expensive die to try and make candy dispenser boxes but you've just saved me a bundle with this method! And it uses the gift box punch board which hasn't had more than a couple of outings since I bought it, either. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute, cute, cute! Thank you for the tutorial too, just darling! LOVE! TFS! Donna (SC)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute and so much fun! love it!

    ReplyDelete